Like mother, like son
Everyone tends to remember and recall certain things, childhood memories, important days or events; though it works differently for everyone.
I am weak in recalling numbers, I can store about 4 phone numbers – the first phone number that we got (not in use today), it was mainly a source of pride that we finally had a phone and did not have to rely on neighbors to call home or call someone. It was akin to having a new expensive in-demand toy. Our current phone numbers though even those I tend to jumble up once in a while. On the other hand, my colleague is so good at numbers, that I can just ask her instead of checking Outlook.
I can tell you what grocery I bought yesterday, but probably could not tell you how much I paid for it, I would trust the handy credit card statement for that.
I can tell you where to find the nearest stores or parks are by way of landmarks but not by street names, I would trust Google Maps for that. I still get confused on highways on whether to take the south exit or north, often relying on a phone call to husband or my own memory from the landscape surrounding the exits.
******************************************************************
On our way back from daycare, we need to essentially merge into the main street and then cross over three lanes to make a U-turn to head on home. Usually there is very high traffic on the main street, so getting across the lanes is a challenge. So far I always have managed to do it before the first intersection to make the U-Turn, though yesterday the car on the left-most lane would not give me way and as I was closing in to the intersection, I had to make a decision to stay on my line and cross the intersection and hope that I could make the U-turn at the next light. The moment I crossed off, I hear a cry “I want to go home!” Unsure, at this sudden outburst, I tell Kochunni that of course we are going home. He continued to cry and as I looked at him through the mirror, I realized that he was trying to look back and figured out what happened. I explained to him that because there is so much traffic I had to move ahead, but we are definitely on our way home.
Later when I told the story to husband, he told me a similar incident that occurred when he picked up Kochunni a week ago. At that time, my often-forgetful husband, instead of merging onto the highway continued on the ramp, and a familiar voice in the back said “Namal yengada pogune” (where are we going?) in a matter-of-fact way. In that instant, husband realized his mistake and jumped back onto the highway.
Seems like Kochunni is emulating a similar memory pattern like me, and I am totally in awe that this little guy seems to know his way home!
7 comments:
wow! that's amazing that he knows his way home!
i can r'ber the way home.. but i get lost in offices! :D
~ Ray - I knw!!! I totally understand about offices ... they all look so similar to each other ... like a maze almost
Nice !!
I had to take cantaloupe to her swimming class few weeks back (usually her dad takes her) and I asked her which road to turn to. (was testing her)
She said the road which had a big hoarding of lettuce / tomato / onion burger :)
I have been to swimming class several times, but had never spotted that hoarding :)
~ CA - Isn't it interesting that kids notice such random things ... the way their minds works just blows my mind.
very cool!
i hope Cubby takes afta his dad when it comes to sense of direction! i dont have one! :p
cheers!
abha
wow.. he is so smart :) I still cant find my way home.. and I can safely say I am not anywhere close to his age :P
Memory is always a memory.Some memories we cant forget even.
Lingerie Bookmark
Post a Comment