Day trips
With toddlers, day trips are easier, rather fun and relaxing. Last weekend we made a trip to the Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad for a picnic lunch, train & carousel ride. Three families, three kids and a nice warm day - a fun day for picnic.
Now even though I am pretty decent at organization at work and get things done in a timely manner, at home there are a lot of times where I seem to be playing 'catch up'. First off, I decided to make some moong dal + potato cutlets but forgot to pack bread to make the sandwich and had to borrow from our friends, who we picked up on the way. Our friends forgot plates for the rice they had made, though luckily I had remembered to carry some. I got Kochunni his favorite waffles but he wouldn’t eat any and I seemed to have no backup, but luckily our friends had got some muffins which he ate with delight. So somehow we managed. After a potpourri of lunch we hit the Railroad – a mini train ride around Vasona and Oak Meadow park. The kids enjoyed the ride and later Kochunni kept talking about the railway crossings, & the ‘paugha’ (smoke). We went to the play area along Oak Meadow Park and spent the next few hours watching the kids tumble and play. Of course, we had a fighting Kochunni on our hands when finally we decided to turn back, and I had to use my creative power to ask him to play catch to at least get him to leave the playgrounds and move towards the exit.
This weekend, the same friends called us over for another train ride, knowingly well that both our boys had enjoyed the mini-train ride last week. And so we found ourselves at Niles Canyon Railway, another non-profit weekend getaway that provides a 30 minutes train ride from Niles Station to Sunol Station. On aboard the steam train, there is a good hillside and nature to peek at transporting us to past, though the occasional view of the roads brought us right back into the present. The ride itself was pleasant though on the other end at Sunol there are just a couple of restaurants and a very small park (no play area) for folks to relax before boarding the next train back. Since we were now experts at picnic we managed to find a shady spot and relax for a while before letting the kids play around in the park. Since there was no play area we had to be innovative and played the choo-choo train, catch, I spy etc & kept the boys busy. With all the running around we were soon tired enough to call it a day.
We headed back to the station, and the heat wave started to burn our skins. Kochunni hated being so hot and kept asking us to find him some shade though none was available. The little guy cried his heart out, and I felt so bad for him. But we soon headed back and once the train moved, Kochunni relaxed enough to enjoy the journey back. When we reached home, we headed straight to the bed wanting to curl up and nap. Of course, Kochunni hates taking naps these days and just kept bouncing off in the bed, though for a change husband and I relaxed enough to get a couple of winks.
In the evening I headed out to OSH (a local nursery cum hardware store) to get myself a little plant for the kitchen windowsill. As it happens I don’t really have a green thumb, unlike my mother-in law who is an ace at such things. Anyway, I picked up an African violet not even knowing much about Violets or any indoor plants for that matter, I was actually looking to buy a money plant (the only indoor plant name that I know of, (see how bad I am) but none was available so I picked out these pretty violets that were just too beautiful to pass off. After purchasing a green pot (Kochunni’s shopping influence) I came home happy. After a nice dinner, we were off to la-la land, as the hot day wore off into to warm night.
3 comments:
Earth day weekend and you bought a plant to your kitchen ... not bad uh ??
I didn't know about the Sunol train ride ... Cantaloupe may be interested in it :)
~ CA - Yes, Seems like an unknown treasure. Though do pick a less sunny day :). Well I hope that the plant stays strong.
Thank u :) take a look that emo boy style at this blog:
http://emo--boys.blogspot.com
Post a Comment