Boiling Point
Over the weekend we made a quick trip to Lake Tahoe, to see the clear waters and snowy mountains. It turned out to be a great trip.
Getting back was hard, knowing that the long weekend was over and Kutie will have to start going to daycare for a full day and that my parents are going to leave early next week.
The worst thing turned out to be an email blast from another parent whose kid goes to the same daycare saying some nasty stuff about the daycare facility. Her complaints ranged from “the daycare is not run well” to “the correct brand of wipes were not used for her kid” and that she heard some shouting at another kid by one of the helpers. Of course, this was followed by a bunch of emails from other parents, exclaiming how nice the facility and the facilitator are and how they helped their kids etc. We even got a call from the daycare facility, explaining the situation and explaining her point and what happened. Of course, we started to have our internal discussion on what might have happened, what our next steps could be …
On one hand, the person who issued the complaint seems to have already found another daycare and has taken their kid away already – so wonder if this was something glaring or just her way to get away with the deposit (we have signed up for a 2-week notice to get the deposit back). Another interesting factor is that both the parent and the day care facilitator’s spouse work in the same company – could there have been bad blood right from the beginning … don’t know.
Now, with all of this, of course what do I do is the biggest question? The last two days Kutie has not been taking his usual 2 – 2 ½ hour nap but instead only an hour at the most (at the daycare). He seems to be clingier to me than ever before (which is not bad, I love the attention he showers on me, but still, it’s probably not that healthy and well, I know it hurts my parents most, since they are about to leave and the little guy sometimes just doesn’t want to be held by them). When Amma was at the daycare, we did notice that main facilitator not present on some days, and an older lady doing the diaper changes and feeding etc. Amma is now of the opinion that daycare facilitator is not the best supervisor of her own employees. But we cannot point any other faults with her - the daycare is clean, Kutie hasn't fallen sick (yet, Anti-Jinx mantras) and he does seem to enjoy the outing.
Of course, with my parents leaving early next week, and with no other daycare on our horizon, (plus I am not sure I want Kutie to go through the pains of trying another place this soon) I am stuck … so this is just a vent!
And when it come to frustrations, I had an argument over dinner last night with honey on sending kids to large daycare versus a small one with maybe only 1 or 2 kids. He was of the opinion that kids need to be with other kids, and if there was an option he would send Kutie to the daycare like ours with 5-6 other kids. His argument was that kids would get the interaction, learn social behavior, and will not be a shy kid (and of course he pulled an example of one of our friends kids, who runs in the opposite direction when he sees anyone coming in his direction). Now I feel the opposite, I agree that kids need company of their peers, but I don’t think it needs to start at age 2 or less. Probably when they start going to school at 4, when they would enjoy the company of other kids & make friends. Also I think being shy or not, (not sure if either one is a virtue or not in the first place) has a lot to do with how the family interacts with others is and not just on the kids playing with other kids. Of course, the whole point of the argument was a little lost in our case, since either way, Kutie needs to be in daycare since we both work and will not be able to baby-sit him!
*** Sigh ***
6 comments:
My son is shy by nature.. so I sent him to preschool/daycare to socialize with other kids.. I chose one with 20 other kids in the room. A lot of my friends with younger kids seem to prefer home based day cares... I don't agree but it seems to work for them! As for the first problem.. not everyone can be pleased at all times.. and that could be the reason the lady pulled her kid out. Having said that, if the supervisor is not there at all times and not dependable, that is cause for worry. However if Kutie likes the place and is well adjusted I would wait and keep a tab on how it goes! Good luck!
I dont have a choice too ..but even I think that they enjoy the company of other kids but at the same time they do not want to be seperated from parents :(
@ preethi and Swati
Thanks for stopping by ... sorry haven't responded to you, but its been a hectic week with parents going back and we are in full swing of things.
I did not mean that kids did not enjoy company of other kids, but that at this age (when they are so little) they dont really 'make best friends' the kids are just there ... they play, they laugh, someone cries & they all cry ... so to me at this age it does not matter how many kids are together at one point of time. but instead, if it was possible for kids to be with grandparents, or other family members, they would enjoy and learn as much as they would in the daycare ...
Hmm that is indeed a flux..Wait for some more days and see..Because Kutie is kind of used to this day care..
wow!
thats rather an ordeal you are going through. I actually agree with your hubby. sooner the kids start interacting and enjoying the company of other kids, sooner they learn and grow more, which of course invites things and habits we dont want our kids to pick up,.. but thats the way it is. Thats something thats gonna come in between their learning process all their lives, as thats what we do all the time... LEARN...
@ Aryan's mom - I knw, Kutie seems to have adjusted very well. Does not cry when we drop him off, but of course, loves to be picked up in the evening! :)
@ Hiba's mom - I know, I know ... smart guys, right *sigh*
Post a Comment