With a pinch of salt
Possibly everyone has seen the desi version of the Simpsons but even as I watched it, I couldn’t help think – please don’t go with the stereotypes again! But of course they do – a 3 year old reading a book on arranged marriages (?!?) well I guess she is reading so I should be happy.
It’s not that the video itself is not funny and I am sure if its going to be a full-fledged show it will be funny, but I am so done with the stereotypes. Especially some that has been exploited in media for the millionth time! Here are few that gets my blood boiling
- South Indian “madrasi” – always with “nariyal pani” (coconut water) and bad Hindi, painted forehead, in the traditional white mundu, and faces painted Black (to showcase darker skin tones).
- Only a “woman” – dressed in sari (or some Indian outfit) can get the man of her dreams. Example - Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (The character played by Shah Rukh only sees beauty via saries, heavy make-up and soft gestures, it’s the same sub-plot in Main Hoon Na, where the girl transforms herself to win the guy she loves – at least here she chides him before accepting his love.
- Goans – If you want to show a Christian family – then they have to be a Goans, of course the dad has to be a drunk, the mom a devout Christian and the heroine – oh so pretty, in short micro-minis running from goondas straight into the arms of a guy (if its a typical Hindi movie it will be Hindu guy from a rich family of course).
The point is that yes, the stereotype might have a grain of truth in them – Hindi is not the first language for many south Indians so yes, they do have an accent – M sounds more like “Yem” when you hear it from a Malayalee – but why not rejoice in this difference?
Moving beyond India and the Indian movies, its still the same – its a Punjabi cab driver you meet in almost all Hollywood movies and tele serials. Its not just limited to India, no I see we are all given the same treatment – its always the Korean grocer, Martial arts specialists etc. Hollywood seems to have built a fantasy for most countries even – romantic get-a-ways always leads to Paris, anything magical/supernatural is explained as part of Chinese/Japanese mythology. Of course this is boost for tourism for Paris and probably interest in Chinese culture, but the stereotypes are unmistakable.
To me the distinction of a negative and a positive stereotype is not about if its funny than it’s appropriate because what is funny to one may not be for another. It’s like the toddler saying the F word without knowing the meaning. When you see it on the tele, it’s funny but if your child said that you would be embarrassed. Why? Its not like the toddler understands the meaning, might even forget the word in a day, but what bothers you is that YOU understand. You know that’s it’s a word that is considered impolite in society. Same thing here, if you come from that part of the world where the stereotype is coming from than its no longer funny, you understand instinctively what it means.
There are a million stereotypes out there, possibly about every community and society, but my biggest angst is that these stereotypes are taken at face value by people and it gets ingrained into their minds – that becomes a true tragedy!
14 comments:
I totally get your point and agree with it. I've also kind of gotten a little angry whenever I have seen such things in various Hollywood or for that matter french movies (thanks to TV5 that is aired on the cable TV).
But I wonder what can we do to change it.
true! true!
i guess like you said there is indeed a grain of truth to it. the reason it becomes painful is that there are peoplearound the world dumb enough to base their impressions on the stuff they watch!
hence they would like to think we ride on elephants in India!
yet if you decide not to be judgemental and know what the reality is, you will know there are exceptions to every rule! :)
simbly my take! :p
cheers!
abha
May be its the media, the TV shows, movies etc. Obviously we cant go to every country to know about the people there. Its from the movies etc we get to know. And that just gets printed in our brains.
Actually I dont think a couple of people like us can make any changes.
You know, we should have more movies like 'Rang de BAsanthi'.
Another one....
If moviemakers want to show corrupt police or stubborn politician, then he should be marathi .....:D
Film Industry is too personal about few things when it comes to certain stereotypes....
A long time has passed but a picture of south indians is still the same from Padosan to so-called new age movies....
This can be a topic of great research!
@nm - Not sure if we can change it either, but I guess talking about it is the first step. Its a global village today, almost everyone knows some one from a different country or has friends/family living there and I think that helps to bring in a better perceptive too.
@ Abha - I try to take it lightly when someone jokes about things or asks me dumb (elephant ride) ques, for I guess they just dont know! But media gets me, esp the newer movies/serials etc
@ lijy - I beg to differ, I think we can change the ideas, esp today when people are so much more mobile. But I agree its a tough road and media just doesn't help us either
@ Friendly Stranger - Ha very true. Or the kanjoos Lalas right! Hindi cinema is in abundance of these things (unfortunately)!
recently, at a fren's place i met this african lady. who had seen quite a few of YRFs older movies. with the women in chiffon sarees on swiss slopes.
she said to me "u're so different. i thought all indian women are absolutely flawlessly beautiful, have dark, long, silky hair, light eyes. they wear this beautiful chunky jewelery and the dress... it looks SO gorgeous. and are u not vegetarian??"
and there i was. in capris and a halter. with unruly hair, a glass of sangria in my hand and meat on the plate in front of me. of course after that she got a wonderful seminar on india and it's diversity.
but yes. i hear u. and i'm with u.
Great post K3. I totally agree with you here. I think we realize the sterotype only when we become one. Which generally happens when we are in a minority. I had a hard time explaing to my classmates in grad school that not all indians are smart. The smart ones (can) come to the US. Just as we think all L.Americans could use a bit more IQ. We only see the sub-section that does janitorial work and make that assumption.
@ Ray - I can totally visualize the scene! Glad that you did give her your two cents too! ;)
@ Dottie - Very true.
Stereotypes abound everywhere and are reinforced my media all the time. Unfortunately, most times such stereotypes end up being one-sided portraits at best and caricatures at their worst. Nice post :)
@ Mystic - Thx!
why talk of media ..don't you see it everywhere in friends and family.
@ swati - I see it more with media (plus I think they exert more influence on us like someone else said we see movies to know about different cultures) With family/friends its up to us to stand up to what we think is wrong/right, here we can change it, (or at least attempt a change) where as with media all I can do is to voice my feelings for at the end of the day, don't think the media is going to read my blog over the 100 others that might be more popular!
Very well said K3. I am one of those - na ghar ka na ghat ka - I get South Indian Madrasi from Northies and dumb-north-indian look from Southies. So..
Coming to the stereotyping, I'll share a funny incident. Me and another girl, both of us just landed in the US, were sharing an apartment and we took driving lessons together. One time the driving instructor, very very sweet guy BTW, looked at my sandals and said they were very cute. He added - I thought in India you don't wear slippers. Is it because you can't afford? To which this friend added. Oh, yes, and we don't take bath either. Because we can't afford wasting water in such silly things.
That guy was sweet, he got the hint and later apologised. He kept saying he did not know much about India except for couple of movies and documentaries he had watched. Both of which showed people walking bare foot with flies all over the place.
So, there you go, blame it on media..
Post a Comment