Roots
Yesterday evening after dinner we sat around in the living room discussing our options – where will be in the next few years (in terms of a place to call home). Why this sudden urge to discuss such bland topics – because ... no idea, I guess we somehow landed on it!
I remember my childhood days very well; Bombay school (sorry it will be Amchi Bombay to me) was in shifts – primary school in the afternoon and secondary early morning. Either way, after school we would rush home, throw our stuff after a little snack or homework we were off to play. Everyone knew everyone else in the neighborhood. This was our ‘adda’ and we were the rulers.
I don’t see if the same would happen for Kochunni – here the neighbors are friendly but not enough to drop by any time of day to borrow some sugar and chat about the daily grind. People don’t meet each other at the 7:27 local and walk back home together talking about this & that. Here everyone is afraid of stepping into someone else’s space and keeps their distance. Yes it definitely has its moments when you don’t have to worry about a neat and tidy house – you know that no one will come unannounced, and of course you don’t want nosy neighbors. But I wish there was a balance.
I would want a ‘settled’ life for Kochunni from at least age 4 onwards – one place to call home where we can all grow old together - a place that he can fondly remember even if he moves out of it - like I do today. But will I know my neighbor, will there be other kids for Kochunni to call upon – or will I need to set up schedules to have a play-date? Will Kochunni have summers where he and his friends can play what they want – cycling down the street, a heated game of cricket, have hard-core fights over why one played better than other and then make up a minute later; and if nothing else just sit around and chat.
Couple of months back when Amma was here, I was discussing something else and realized that life back in India has changed too. Parents are enrolling kids in all sorts of classes for the kids – computers, music, dance, swimming, apart from the regular tuition classes. Its competitive and the wheels are turning, I wonder if I am looking back with rosy tinted glasses and not seeing the full picture – I mean, I took tuitions too during the last years of school. But I can still relate to time spend idly among friends – the incessant chatter that would stop the moment an adult passed by, the parents meeting up for coffee or just sitting by the large garden and chatting.
Buying a house definitely a first step towards staying put, but with both sets of parents still in India and not many family members here, I wonder if this is place to be. Or am I turning more like my dad who always wished to go back to live in his hometown and still continues to do the same! (Dad, if you read this, please know I totally understand how you feel, more today than when I was a kid & crib about not ever leaving Bombay!)
No decisions yet, I don’t know where I will be 2 years from now, but I hope I can reach a resolution by then – at least I think I need to.
12 comments:
it's too soon for us to have these discussions... we intend to move around as much as we can before we have kids. we're both bitten by the travel bug. and with me, if i spend more than 3 years in a place, i feel claustrophobic. weird, i know... but it's been like that for a while now...
hopefully, someday, i'll find my neverland....
@ Ray - know what you mean. I still do want to travel, visit places maybe even live in new places just to give us the exposure, but kids bring in a whole new perceptive of trying to stay put too.
I can so relate to this post. We plan to go back to India before popol is four. Mainly because my mother lives there all alone and I don't want to deprive her the pleasure of seeing her grandchild grow up. But as for the close-knit, almost-like-family-neighbours and homely ambience you mention, I think it no longer exists. Even back in India, everyone as stated minding their own business and keeping to themselves. Which is a pity.
@ Mystic M - I agree, I am looking for something that probably is long gone, but the grass always seems greener on the other side :(
My childhood days were quite similar,but now when i look into Jelly's future, I cannot see her having a similar enviorment to grow. Things have changed so much in the same nieghborhood where I grew up. The kids hardly interact with each other and if ever they do it is on their way to attend some work of theirs.......
I understand ..even I want to go back to home town SOMEDAY:)
Hi K 3,
Wonderful post...
Good to see you thinking over this matter seriously....
Every lifestyle has it's own dues....and as you said, there needs to be a balance!
Sadly, it's quite difficult to attain it...maybe you can have an exclusive indian town in the US :)
@ Wunderyearz - :) Sucks doesn't it!
@ Swati - may we all be blessed to do that Some day! :)
@ Friendly Stranger - Ha! don't think I want an exclusive town, a nice balance would be perfect!
aww.. K3..
Change is everywhere. I don't believe one place is better than the other. It all depends on what you are looking for and what suits one the best.
We did a dry run of 5 months 2 years back. I'll do a post on this.. soon..
I am with ddmom here! Like she says, maybe do a dry run? I think I want to go back. But India has changed so much. I'll be a stabger in my hometown.
@ DDMom - please do the post, will love to hear
@ Dottie - Dry run does sound like a good idea, esp since India has changed so much too .... but I guess I need to make up my mind first. ;)
K3
:)
nostalgia mostly IS about rose tinted glasses isnt it?!
yet India is a friendlier place even today!! the competition is everywhere and kids do go to summer camps!
but if you are staying a colony, there will be lotsa kids and fun, i am sure!!
ofcos Bombay isnt the same!! I cant imagine and going back to live there anymore! life is TOO difficult esp if you are working and have to commute!!
yet, i do miss the proximity of my parents and the number of friends cubby cud have had at my dadar house!!
who knows whats tomorrow...
cheers!
abha
Post a Comment