Site Meter

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Hit the Wall at Walmart

One of the best practices here in US is the policy of ‘gift card’. No, I am not talking about offering gift card for birthdays, and other functions, but the practice of stores giving out store gift cards when you return an item.

In theory this gives the customer the option of not only returning the item that they purchased or were given but also to buy something else instead. Now, the store is also pretty happy with the situation as I am sure more often than not, customers will forget about the gift card, misplace them and essentially they got money for an item that never left their store shelves.

I am sure that many ‘wise’ customers are aware of this and take precautions like keeping the receipt and the gift cards at a safe place and remember to make purchase quickly. But what happens when the store did not authorize your card correctly!!!

Here’s the story!

We bought a watch from Wal-Mart right before thanksgiving, along with some other stuff. After a few days, we realized that my mom (for whom the gift was) had a similar one and we decided to return this item. Being a lazy a**, that I am, I sent my dear honey on the errand.

At the store, of course (even with the receipt) they drilled him and entrusted a gift card as they (according to the salesperson) could not refund directly to the credit card as the purchaser (moi) was not present.

My honey came back with the gift card. Diligent that I was, I safely put the card into my purse. This Monday I finally got around to the shop to buy a few items. I double-checked that I had the gift card to ensure that I use it up.

After shopping (and I would add, for more items than the amount on the gift card) I reached the counter. Now the shocker! The sales person tries the card a couple of times and she get the message “Card not authorized”. Mind you, it does not say “no balance amount” or something to that effect. Not wanting to hold up the line, I purchase the items and move to the customer service section to ask them what the issue might be.

I explain what happened at the counter, and like clockwork, the salesperson tries the card one more time and gets the same message – Card not authorized. She asks me if I have the receipt of the receipt (the receipt that they give when the store gave me the gift card as refund) Ok now I am getting frustrated! Of course, I don’t have that. Sorry she cannot help me and informs me that she will call the manager.

After a few minutes, the manager arrives. Any guesses what she does after she heard about the issue – try the card – get the same message and ask me about the gift card receipt. I explain that I would not think about keeping the receipt after I have been provided a gift card by the store no less. She informs me that I will need to call the store manager the next day, and she will try to look me up with the help of ‘store web cams’ and provide me the refund!

Being pissed off helped me not to laugh at this outrageous comment! Can you imagine, a store manager on a call from customer going through various web cam pictures to figure out what item was returned and its price. How do you confirm the person on the phone is one and same? Have a web cam chat?

So long story short, the money on the card is lost plus the additional money (and time) lost in trying to get something else for the gift card amount. You would really think, I should return the new items that I purchased and try this all over again!!! Maybe this time follow the wise-geek advice to “ask the cashier to check the number on the card against the bar code … make sure the correct amount is on the card you purchased.” But then again when a VP of the company is caught up in gift card fraud, it makes you wonder will safety tips work?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...