The journey so far
We are at the tail-end of our trip, tomorrow we travel to Dubai for a small stop over before heading back to US.
Kochunni did not have any stranger anxieties and enjoyed meeting the extended families. The influence of family is easily noticeable as he speaks Malayalam more fluently making full sentences.
Here's Kochunni with his Ammamma, having a "tickling match"
Some of his favorite times was going on bike rides with Muthu (grandpa) standing in the front with the wind (and dust) in his hair, the autoricksha rides and watching the tanker lorry bringing water into our houses. Clearly his personality is more pronounced these days easily showing off his displeasure – yesterday we went shopping and by the time we were done it was already 12.30 or so and I asked my dad to take Kochunni and my mom home first so that she could start lunch for him while I could do some more shopping, of course he started to throw a tantrum and I had to return pretty soon, and as he saw me from the window he yelled “amma vannu” (amma is here) but as I entered the room, he just walked away his face showing his displeasure of sending him home first. We laughed at his antics but it is clear how easily he is able to articulate his feelings today. Gone are the days when the only weapon he had at his disposal were war cries at different pitch and decibel to let us know his displeasure.
Since our inner country travels was over we decided to do some potty training hoping that having more number of people to monitor Kochunni will be an easy option for all. Of course the little fella did not see it that way and the rounds of coaxing, bribing had no impact on him. He just decided not to pee or poop! By evening he started showing signs of discomfort and I started him on apple juice and back on diaper. And so another round of potty training battle, Kochunni won hands down. This is the last thing I am going to say about this topic (for now) totally blocking off this memory (such a sore loser that I am) and only going to remember this picture of a cute little fella in chaddies.
Met with Abha and her little cute, adorable, smart little bundle of joy. She was exactly how I imagined she would be – true Mumbaiker at heart and soul, fun loving and smart. I wish I had more time to spend but had to head out to the Commercial Street to fire the tailor who completely screwed up my ‘Patiyala’ to be a clown pants. The tailor for once turned out to be a nice polite fella and agreed to try and make some changes to it so that I could at least wear it at home.
As the vacation draws to close, I start dreaming more about stuff from work, about Kochunni’s daycare and of course the worsening economy in US. I try my best to push back the thoughts to enjoy my last few days, finish some shopping but the thoughts creep back up, just as I see my parents mulling the same fact in a different way - the empty house, their beloved grandson no longer a part of their everyday lives, his antics no longer live action but more of a re-run through the blog, pictures and videos sent over. But as they say, the show must go on, and so we get ready to pack up and head on back to California.
2 comments:
:)
am so glad we met up even if it was for a short while. and crowded mall food court isnt the best place for convesations is it?! :)
but I am officially in love with well behaved Kochuni! :D
every time i say samosa, Cubby says Aunty! :p
and all the food sounds so yumm. and the whole trip so full of love n warmth! hope you come back soon!
cheers!
abha
~ Abha - Yes it was great to meet you, and thanks again for the wonderful gifts. Kochunni loves the dino stickers, its his reward for every potty run (lifesaver for me!)
Aww, cubby still remember, so cute! He is such a good boy too. Not sure when we will be back, lekin why dont u tag along with hubby on a trip here soon? ;)
Post a Comment