Site Meter

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Burning: Inside/Out

A couple of weeks ago, Tharini of Winkie's way's posted a text challenge - basically offering 6 words that we needed to work into a sentence, it reminded me how years ago when, as part of language exams we were given a word that we had to use in a sentence. This was one of my favorite parts of the exams - for once you could not memorize anything, had to come up with the sentences in the one hour that was given for the exam, apart from doing all the other things that was asked from us to - fill in the blanks, true or false questions etc. I would feel proud when I came up with a clever answer - it was probably not the best, and with around 80 students in the class, I am sure the teacher found lots of clever, wise, touching and amusing ones. But to me, it was a matter of accomplishment.

Two days ago, there was another challenge on Winkie's way, these were the words - 'Remind Prodded Grasped Message Companions' and the rules were to use the words as is and in 18 words or less. This is the sentence that I came up with "Prodded to action by challenge my message companions is of peace, if you have grasped please remind all."

Nothing extraordinary, far better ones have been written, but today morning as I opened up my news box & I read stories of Mumbai under attack. I shuddered, and rang up friends to make sure that they were home safe and sound. Its been 24 hours and still no resolution, and I come back to sentence that I typed up less than 24 hours before - no I am not reading too much into it, but a million questions surge in my heart, all beginning with one word "Why" I have no answer but as my beloved city, the city that I grew up in, the city that taught me so many things, the city that never sleeps, Burns .... all I say is ENOUGH!!

Enough with violence, enough with the bloody politicians who are only good at bashans; either get down from the high pedestal, get out of your bullet proof car or just shut up! And for once, join force with the people and do something about the attacks, spend money on intelligence rather than getting more money in your pocket.

Prayers to each and everyone. My eyes are moist, the places attacked are part of history, part of Mumbai's heart and soul, I feel so helpless, I cannot watch the news no more ...

5 comments:

rayshma said...

i know. i couldn't watch the news either. the helplessness is overpowering.

Preethi said...

I sit glued to the television since last night.. calling family ... I dont have any in Bmobay.. but still I call them to feel connected.. but am just helpless!

K 3 said...

~ Ray - Agree, feel lost and helpless

~ Preethi - have friends in the city - everyone I knw is well but its doesnt help knowing, when you knw the terror still rages.

Lijy said...

i know how you feel..

its really sad and heartbreaking to hear about all the innocent people who were brutally killed.

i just hope it does not happen again.

Mama - Mia said...

its been crazy and i am at loss of words now to say anything that can make sense...

hugs

abha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...