So many words, yet so little
There was talk on a radio show that I often listen to on my way to work about Ivana Trump getting married to her boyfriend who is quite a few years younger to her. They kept calling her a “couger”.
Now, in reality couger is a mountain lion or panther – a beautiful animal native to the Americas. But here the reference is more of an older woman who preys on younger men. Note the word is even the #1 buzz word according to Time.
This got me thinking how many words we use to describe woman’s exploits and some of it is just not fair ...A married man dating another woman is just a cheat but his girlfriend becomes a mistress, if the situation were reversed the man still doesn’t have an equivalent to the word mistress while the women would be called a b**ch. Again the word is not ugly by itself – it’s just the female of the dog specie – an animal who is loyal and cute; but the connotations it draws in the minds of people is of a hard core woman who will do anything to get what she wants.
Of course, you might argue, that one should love being called a couger for the matter of empowerment and all. I mean here is this reversal of the typical December-May romance. But calling any human being with an animal name is never in my books a good thing? Not that an animal is anyways better or worse than humans, it just doesn’t seem fair to either species. What say you?
(image from: http://weblogs.cltv.com)
10 comments:
I agree, racking my brain to think of word to call guy who dates younger woman.. What does one call him?
PS:I didnt get any reply. weird..
you know which one i hate the most?
a woman who flirts around is called a slut and a man a casanova - in a good sense!
bah!
i remember being called a man-easter by one of my pal's wife! and i was like Duh! :p
cheers!
abha
@ asaaan - i think he i called a toy boy or boy toy! :D
I completely agree with you.......I get on my nerves when a lady calls another lady by these names!!!
it's very sexist. all this name-calling... and what makes it worse is it's one woman referring to another by these names...
It is sexist like Rayshma says.. now women need to get creative!!
I agree with Abha "a woman who flirts around is called a slut and a man a Casanova" that's the worst!!
guess the 'mistress' is a nice way of putting it across...
Wow! I so agree. Women get a raw deal with the media many a time... what about the Anna-someone case for having married a really old oil tycoon? The man got away as having been senile and the media almost pushed her to her eventual death... terrible.
~ Asaaan - Boy toy, i think too.
~ Abha - Man eater - what? Are they nuts!
~ Wunderyearz - seriously!
~ Ray - sexist I agree, but like Wunderyearz said, sometimes we woman do the same to other woman. Thts just sucks!
~ Preethi - :(
~ Tessie - I dont agree with you their, I dont like the word mistress either. Its a cheat either way!
~ Cuckoo - Ah! Anna Nicole Smith - that was one hell of a media circus. Still is with her baby and the money!
Post a Comment