Site Meter

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Can we do this?

Its Blog Action Day TODAY! I think it should be an ACTION day every day, even every minute if possible.

India is one of the biggest growing nations these days, people seem to have enough cash to buy their iPODs/iPhones to their Swifts and everything in between. Places are lined with malls, inviting the wealthy to spend. Turn around, do you see that little street urchin who hasn’t had a proper meal possibly for two days straight?

Yesterday’s BBC news had this article on their front page - Hunger in India states 'alarming' – as I read it I remember the incident a few weeks ago when honey had to run to Safeway to get a pack of diapers that we ran out on. It seems that electricity had gone out for a couple of hours before at Safeway and now they were instructing employees to take the milk and other frozen items out to be thrown away. YES thrown away … because of the liability issue! Both husband and I racked our brains on what they could have done instead – called some other Safeway location and transferred some stuff there – of course transport could be an issue. Called up a local charity/orphanage and donate at least in part? Again liability issue. I am sure if it was India, they probably could have just yelled and in a hour all the stuff would be taken away within minutes by the poor. But nothing of that sort happened and I guess the food was taken away to be dumped!

I felt so helpless that day and even today when I think about the incident. I regret not being able to do anything!

But it doesn’t stop me from doing things I can do today and everyday. I admit these are small things, but “boond boond se sagar bana” (little drops makes the ocean).

1. Stop buying truckloads of bottled water – get a filter instead and use tap water. Take a bottle to office, so you don’t use the paper cups or bottle water.
2. Don’t waste food. Period.
3. Recycle, Reuse.
4. Plant something.
5. Donate.
6. Shout at honey or little Kochunni or anyone if I see the tap left open while they are brushing their teeth (they are getting much better about it, these days).

Here’s more.

Go ahead, do something. Like John F. Kennedy said "...ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country" your World. Just do the little things and hope that there’s still a beautiful world left when our kids & grand kids grows up!



Please do join the Blog Action Day - 2008, if you can. Go ahead, and do tell me if you do!


Image from: BBC News and Blog Action day site

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, loved your post. people often tease me as the garbage bin as i hate seeing food being wasted and gobble up the leftovers. don't know but hate seeing anything being wasted......... water, electricity, utility items. I fail to understand people who have scant regard for things that they have been bestowed upon. If only they had some consideration for the less fortunate ones.

Anonymous said...

that's nice of yout to put his up here...
yeah!! let's do something abt it.. I hate wasting food... even if it's a li'l leftover i leave it in the fridge for the next day... a lesson taught by amma :)

btw, u can get the book from any crossword store :)
am sure u'll love it :)

Anonymous said...

~ sscribbles - Thx U. No idea, I guess people dont care enough - it always let the city/municipality take care of the city attitude.

~ tessie - your mom seems like a great person. :) so the book is released only in India then?

Anonymous said...

Very nicely written K3. :)

The amount of food that folks waste out here is just ridiculous. Including me on occasion.

rads

Preethi said...

Well said.. boond boond se sagar banta hein!!

Preity Angel... said...

very beautiful post K3..KEEP IT UP

Anonymous said...

~ Rads, Preethi, Angel - Thank You

Friendly Stranger said...

hey.........I'm back to blogging!
Check out my space.....
Right now it's kind of rush hour for me so I'll check out the post soon!
Happy blogging!

Mama - Mia said...

so so true K3.

even our clothes etc that we throw away which are in such good conditio can be donated to people who dont have enough...

heres to charity that begina at home with wasting lesser!

cheers!

abha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...