Site Meter

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Who packages these things?

In India, at least until a few years ago the local baniya or nearby general store used to be the place to buy almost everything from dal's to flours, from cookies to spices, from stamps to books, bulbs, scissors, almost anything. The stores are very different from today, in that the shopkeeper would hand out things that you asked for, rather than customers browsing around the shop looking for items. So apart from the packaged brand items like Haldiram sweets or a canned soup everything you get was in loose plastic bags that was wrapped up right in front of you. For example, you could ask for 4 cookies, and two AA batteries. The cookies would be picked out from a glass bottle, while batteries from the shops cupboards. They would be put in little bags for you & you could start to use them right away.

The first time I started encountering individually wrapped items was in US. Apart from vegetables and few other things everything is neatly wrapped away. Not that its a bad idea, but unpacking some of these things needed time, effort and understanding. Its not as simple as opening a cookie box. If you don't check the packaging well you might miss the small text that says "tear here" like on the little ketchup packets and go nuts over not being able to open them while your fries have gone cold.

Apart from this comes the weirdness surrounding packaging. Blub's - a handle-with-care item is packed in little paper mashe while scissors are packed off in this high quality plastic that you would need another high end scissors to open - what if you were buying them for the first time?

Worst offenders now seems to be kids toys.

Last weekend Kochunni got a little School bus from a family friend. She handed over the gift bag to me and today I finally got around to open it. My biggest mistake of course was that I showed the toy to the little guy & he got really exited since he loves anything that remotely looks like a vehicle.


But I still needed to open up the toy from its box- it looked easy enough, just a little cut out box. But I was in for a surprise the bus was held tight with these small hard plastic wires that were twisted around possibly a million times over! Now twisting and turning these 4 wires, held in place with a little green plastic took time and effort. I was glad that honey was holding a now starting to cry baby in his arms. Finally all I was able to do was to remove the bus out of the box and hand off the toy to him with the wires still sticking out.


I guess to remove these would take another 10 mins which I was sure the little guy would rather not wait to lay his hands on his toy. I learned my lesson the hard way, next time open up the damn thing, before I even show a new toy to the little guy!



Edited to add: Found this Washington Post article that seems to highlight some of the main offenders and the awards that manufactures have won for doing the same!

11 comments:

Savani said...

Get a 5 yr old to open kids toys :) They do it in 1/3 time with zero tools.

K 3 said...

@ Dottie - ROFL I am sure they do!

Mama - Mia said...

hehe! seriously! we once got a bus that was screwed on to the base of the bus!! its just so irritating!! :(

on another note, most other packaged stuff is making life a lot easier! tho i still cant open tetra pack of milk without spilling some when i cut it open!! sigh!

cheers!

Anonymous said...

DotThoughts said it. Just three more years of struggle, then your little one will do it for you :)

Wunderyearz said...

Had a similar experience when we gifted a Jeep to our nephew, forget the poor little guy even we could not open it. At last we had to rely on a couple of knifes and scissors to get that damn jeep off the stand it was placed on(Sigh!!!)

K 3 said...

- Mama-mia - Totally agree! I get my handy man (honey) to open most of the things for me! ;)

- DDmom - :) Thts good to knw I guess!

- Wunderyearz - So bizzare, needing to use knives - one of the things we keep away from kids, to open up kids toys! Argh!

Mama - Mia said...

you been tagged!! :D

Preethi said...

Dottie got that right.. A friend once got s similar gift for Nantu.. their 8 yr old daughter took it all off in a matter of seconds leaving me gaping in awe!! :P

K 3 said...

abha - quirks eh, hmm I will have to write my biography for that

preethi - tht seems to be the popular consensus.

K.C. said...

Yeah, I'm with them.. Leave the little ones alone with them and they will be able to open them in no time, with no tools either. It is one of those things that defies logic.. I have seen it done... ROFL KC

Anonymous said...

@ KC - hmm couple of years more I guess

K3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...