An Unexpected Holiday
Since we had family in town, I decided to take some time off from work and show them around town. But they had a sudden change of plans and decided to visit some other relatives in another city for a couple of days – this was something that they had been going back and forth for a few days now – One day they wanted to go, next not – I guess when you are traveling you are bound to be a little unsure on how you want to plan out your days. Anyway, when I got home from work yesterday – they had decided to leave immediately and be back to our place by weekend, unaware that I had decided to take some time off from work. Hate to admit, but I was a little peeved by the decision. Now I seemed to have a holiday in my hands –for no reason at all – no birthdays, no anniversaries, no festivals!
Usually I am one of those people that never took a sick day(anti-jinx), and went on planned vacations usually combined with other company holidays. PTOs were saved for the big vacation - the trip to India. Planning for an India trip would start months in advance and it was not really a vacation in the American sense of the word – no relaxation, no spa days, no ‘just’ lounging days, but hectic travel between my place to in-laws place to meeting relatives and friends – not that I am complaining – just stating a fact. Its honeymoon versus a huge family picnic difference - you enjoy both, but while one is just relaxing time with the one you love, the other is cooking, packing, driving, monitoring kids and spending time with ones you love. The later involves more work on your end to plan and execute.
But back to my holiday today – I have absolutely no idea what I can do for two whole days. First stop, I decided to sleep-in, but your body is getting old and it just enjoys the routine – so I was up at 6.30 – so now what? I guess, I don’t have to push Kochunni too much – it can be a leisurely day to eat breakfast – but now he loves to eat food quickly. (anti-jinx). Now what? We (meaning myself and Hd) decided lets drop him off to daycare for a short while – just to ensure he hasn’t forgotten the routine. I wasn’t sure how he would react – would he cry, cling to me or what … No nothing – he is totally fine. I guess, now that his ettan has left the building, he probably understands that his vacation is over (so to speak). Either way, he seemed to fine when I left him.
So now what? I finally came up with a small plan – since today my little boy is not at home, why not clean up the place – it anyways looks like we lived through a tornado with all the toys, suitcases from the trip and a hundred outfits to go into laundry – why not play catch up. (Definitely not my favorite chore in the world – but better to get over with) Then tomorrow it can be a special day with the little guy … could I take him to park, to the mall, to the library – someplace where he could have fun. That’s something I need to think of – somewhat of a special yes day for the little guy.
As for me, I can check out blogs, read up old posts, do some chats with friends, apply mehendi and enjoy a movie – so hopefully the unexpected holiday can turn into a great spa day after all!
9 comments:
I can imagine your disappointment. But did you tell them that you are planning to take off just for them? I guess some where the communication gap happened. But never mind..you can relax and use it for your own good as you said. :)
I can imagine your frustration. I would be so MAD! Maybe they did not know you were going to take time off from work? I have never taken a sick leave - not for myself. But I do like unexpected holidays. When we are snowed in or once when an area wide traffic jam prevented me from going to work (not kidding - people were stuck for 6+ hours because of rain). Enjoy your holiday. Watch Oprah, put you feet up and relax. And most importantly, dont feel guilty for doing it :)
hi... got here from ladybird's blog.
K3? what does that mean?
And how old is ur little guy.
Am adding you in my blogroll, and will be visting more often...
take care..
Oh wow...you have a holiday and u wonder what to do with your time! Whats wrong with you girl :) I hope you went for a nice spa treatment this time after all. And ofcourse had fun with your little kiddo!
I know, how I used to save every possible vacation day to make the longest possible India trip. It must hurt to take a day off like this.. On the other hand, it is nice to relax, otherwise you would have planned something for the day.
so you got a fun relaxing day after all... I know how mad you must be with them.. but then enjoy your holiday and relax!! you deserve it!!
isnt it crazy when you realise you have been completely domesticated! its when you want to clean up on an unexpected holiday instead of put your feet up and chill! hehe!
hope you had a nice time next day too and took the l'il guy to park n all! :)
cheers!
abha
-nm - Yes I had mentioned, but its family too that they wanted to visit - so I guess I shldn't complain too much
-Dottie - Thx you, yes actually ended up loving it - will post soon with details
- Lijy - Hi, welcome. hee hee - no one has really asked me about K3 - will do a post one time soon - Promise
- HC - I know - going nuts, arent I?
- DDMom, Preethi - Ya turned about to be fun
- Mama-mia - I knw!! where did the good old days go? :(
Relax and apply mehandi...that sounds so cool
AM
Post a Comment