Problem Child
I just came across two blogs “My Many Colored Days” and “Morning Glory” that have started a ‘Women 2 Women’ Tuesday sessions! A wonderful idea, I must add. This will be my first article for the same, though it’s a day late [apologies]
Every big problem was at one time a wee disturbance. -Unknown
How do you define a problem child?
Is it that little boy who came to our house, when I was probably 10-12 and broke my record-player? I don’t remember his name, but I still think of him as a brat. I remember him running around my house and taking everything down. I did not like it and I had an overwhelming feeling of shouting at him to stop. Are his parents to blame who kept saying “Oh he is naughty!” and once in a while, “Don’t do that!”
Is it that girl, my cousin, who refused to eat anything but chocolates and ice-scream for dinner, lunch and anytime in-between? We had to literally force feed her!
Will my son be considered a problem-child by someone, down the road? Probably. Not because he is one, but of the circumstance! I loved my record-player and hated the kid for destroying it. [But I still think his parents should have offered to help – or maybe they did, don’t recall!] I remember one of older girls telling me that I could play with her Barbie doll – since I was now old enough!
If you cannot define a problem-child - then can you ensure your child will not be considered one by others? I have realized that ‘problem-child’ is not the problem … it is the situation, the circumstance. It is not the child that is a problem; it is the parent, the society. How we define a problem and the kid involved is entirely on our perception. We might be impressed by a kid who talks a lot or we might called them a chatterbox; we might be impressed by a kid who loves to play or we might say they are wasting their life; we might be impressed by a kid who reads a lot or we might call them a bookworm!
I know my son will have his moments. When my child misbehaves do I yell at him, feel ashamed and walk away apologetically? Or do I give him a hug; tell myself he is still learning and help him learn the 'worldly-ways' with a smile?
I hope its the latter, for my little Kuttie's sake! :) I wish, I hope, I pray ...

5 comments:
Thank you for joining in on our writing forum. You've got some very good thoughts to consider here and I'm sure many more will occur to you as your baby grows. There are some amazing women in our bloggy world. I think you'll enjoy getting to know them.
Our Woman to Woman forum occurs the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month. We post each new subject the Thursday before. Hope to see you there.
Its a pleasure to join such wonderful ranks of bloggers ... Thank you for your comments. I will look forward to coming Thursday, for the next 'assignment'! :)
Thanks so much for joining us! I really appreciate your thoughts! And it is always fun to "meet" someone new!
Cute example stories. I am sorry about your old record player! ;) It is so hard. I don't think that we as mother's ever want to see our own child as the one with the "problem". Even if it is true, no one can love them like their Mamas!
Very true, Zoe. Blessed are we for having such a wonderful opportunity.
Post a Comment