Food for thought
I was browsing around the wonderful world of blogs this past hour [actually make that two] and found about a ton of them on the wonderful subject of Food. Every imaginable recipe from every corner of the world is up for grabs... but what if you find cooking boring!!!!
In a culture that has given us varied tastes, spices, concoctions – why do I stumble so much? Each region has given us a new flavor and even a name at times -- Roti becomes ‘poli’ in marathi, while it become ‘rotli’ in gujarati; though Roti itself encompass all form of bread – from chappati to phulka. And what about the 110 concoctions that one can come up from one reciepe. My wonderful mum-in-law tells me she herself knows about 17 ways to make a ‘Dosa’. It’s probably because recipes are hand-me-downs from mother to daughter. I remember a time when decisions on which college I should join and how late I could stay out was made in the kitchen while Amma made a fresh cup of tea for my dad!
With so many choices, is it a bit crazy that I am not interested in cooking! I am not sure, if it’s the process of cooking or the decision 'what to cook to-night?' that makes me dread the ‘kitchen’. It cannot be the food itself, since I love it. Or could it be that I am bit lazy; or that 7 times out of 10 the result is just not right?
My son has started on solid foods - and currently he loves his food though it is bland [no salt, no spice]. But I have seen his innocent eyes looking at our plate like a hawk! His 9-month appointment is round the corner and I wonder if I should ask the doctor about adding spices to my son’s food group.
Could I be the ‘super mom’ some other way, O little one? I could tell you stories of Krishna and Rama, take you away on fun trips, play with you, help you in your studies, be a good listener and lend you a shoulder if such a need arises.
I even promise to cook healthy foods for you, my little one. But please forgive me if a day comes and you realize what you missed!
Flavors of Indian Rasoi
No comments:
Post a Comment