Classic TV, anyone?
My oldest TV memory is not of any shows but about our black and white Crown TV with a shutter that I used to play with.
The one show I really remember watching as probably a 5 year old is “Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot” this was about the time that doordarshan introduced half hour for children. All my kids would end our playtime early and run to watch this show from 7 PM. My favorite being the day that my cousin brother who used to claim everything in Bangalore is sooo much better than Bombay wrote to me after his trip to our place that summer, saying that he missed the show. :D
Much later with DD Metro started, we had shows like 100 (Ek Shuniya Shuniya) a Marathi cop show, and afternoon shows like Trishna. During summer DD Metro had shows from 12-1 just for kids with Baigan Raja, and other short stories etc. So many great shows like Malgudi Days (still love the haunting title music), Byomkesh bakshi (probably my first crush) Dekh Bhai Dekh, Fauji, Circus, Flop Show etc were hot fav's during the time it ran.
When I was around 10-12 Farmaan totally rocked my boat with its love story – the rudeness with which the Nawab dictated to the girl he loved and the way she stood her ground against him made it fun to watch. Great actors and a good plot. Surabhi was another fav that introduced us to Renuka Shahane.
There were other great shows too, though today I don’t remember much about them like – Nupur (Hema Malini), Udaan (Laalita (?) from the Surf ads … totally wanted me to become a cop when I grew up), Wagle ki duniya, Zabaan Sambhalke (though probably Mind your language was far better), Ek Do Teen Char – a kids show, Nukkad and so many more. Of course then there were the mythological ones on Sunday with Ramayana and Mahabharata.
Now memories is one thing but how many of these do you think can stand the test of time? I recently found Fauji on Netflix and ordered the set and towards the end, I was starting to get bored. On the contrary Dekh Bhai Dekh still seemed to tickle me with some of the antics of the Diwan family. Byomkesh Bakshi on you tube was still interesting enough (or maybe I still have a soft spot for the guy). I just noticed that they have Johnny Sokko on Netflix Instant watch – let’s see how that holds up to my childhood memories (this is the reason for this post about long forgotten shows)
Sometimes I do wish we have a "desi" TV land - which showcases the best of classic TV for the new generation.
Question: What were your favorite shows, back then? And which of them do you think you could still watch today?
Ed: Here's a comprehensive list that a blogger has put together. Impressive isn'it?
11 comments:
I remember, Biniyaad, Hum Log from the yesteryear of the soaps!
I used to love watching Telematch and Barba Papa.
And yeah..Udaan was a great serial. And byomkesh Bakshi was super!
And there was another one which used to come on sundays. Amol palekar was in it and it was about a family of girls and how one of them wanted to write a book and she eventually wrote it but no one would publish it. can't seem to remember the name.
A lot of nostalgia that brought back.. I never watched much TV but my mom did watch some of this.. and yes Udaan was one I think!!
~nm - Buniyaad and Hum Log - was never into soaps! Hmm dont knw abt the Amol Palekar one either - will ask mom she might remember
~ preethi - catch up with you tube and nextflix! :D though like i said, some of them don't have the charm anymore!
Something for you at my blog.. come get it
..came from upsi's comment space...
Giant Robot was my favorite...Sometimes I used to imagine myself as the Robot and at other times I was the boy with that cool watch communicating with the Robot...
...was so impressed by the series.. that I went to build robots during my bachelors and masters...
~ me - Welcome!!!
I am might impressed. I only kept dreaming about 'stuff' you actually built robots .... way cool, Man!!!
@~nm,k3 -- That Amol Palekar one was "Kachi Dhoop", and one of the girl in that was Bhagyashree.
you have said it all!! :D
i wanna watch Dekh Bhai Dekh again!
we recently picked up DVDs of Yeh Jyo Hai Zindagi which has satish shah and were amazed yet again at how simple life was then! :) and there was a series called Mr. Yogi about a guy looking for his bride and every episode had him meeting different girl and funny situs!! :D i wonder where can i find it! i so wanna watch it again!!
lovely lovely post!!
cheers!
abha
ps: we used to stand on our terrace and wave to any aeroplane screaming "Bye Bye Giant Robot"! :p
cheers!
abha
~ Stone - Thx's man.
~ Abha - LOL - waiting for the yeh jo hai ... dvd to come thru netflix.
Post a Comment